Enjoy a private and authentic cooking class in a local home with host Casto, a pastry chef, and a yoga teacher. This is a perfect experience for anyone looking to connect with the local culture over food. Your cooking class will take place in a local home kitchen where Casto will teach you how to make 2-3 traditional Filipino dishes from family recipes. After cooking, you will enjoy your meal together in your host’s cozy, American home.
• Private cooking lesson in a local Centreville home
• Introduction to Filipino cuisine
• 100% private activity
• Experience Filipino-American hospitality in a residential neighborhood outside Washington DC
• Vegetarian and vegan options available
This is a unique opportunity to visit the home of a local and explore traditional culture and cuisine. Meet Casto at his condominium in the Washington DC suburb of Centreville. After settling in with a welcome drink and snack, join Casto in his cozy kitchen for a hands-on cooking class that will last about an hour. You will learn to make 2-3 dishes during your traditional Filipino cooking class with Casto. Learn to cook dishes such as taho (a silky soy milk custard), adobong manok sa gata (adobo braised chicken with coconut milk), and ensaladang pinoy (green mango salad) or lumpiang shanghai (mini spring rolls). By the end of your cooking class, you will have successfully learned to use local, seasonal ingredients to recreate Casto’s interpretation of traditional Filipino dishes. Later join him (and his parents when they are available) at the dining table to share the meal you helped prepare as well as a few additional dishes that Casto may have prepared in advance.
• Ginger lemongrass tea
• Kesong puti (white cheese) and guava jelly bruschetta
• Adobong manok sa gata (adobo braised chicken with coconut milk)
• Ensaladang pinoy (green mango salad)
• Lumpiang shanghai (mini spring rolls)
• Sauteed kangkong (water spinach)
• Mixed grain pilaf
• Taho (soy milk pannacotta) with mango jam